January 27, 2013

Let Me In

Matt Reeves, 2010

4/5

When I had heard that they were remaking the Swedish horror "Let The Right One In" I wasnt too optimistic that it could hold up to the original. Now after seeing both, I look at them almost equally and there are only subtle deficiencies in both films. Anyone who has not seen the original Swedish version should do so. Thats all I will say about the original. This film is a near perfect horror film, and definitely in my top 5 horror films of the past 10 years. Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass) has been good in every film I've seen her in, and she is perfect in her role of Abby the vampire. Kodi Smit-Mcphee gives a really great performance as well, as Owen. This film is how every vampire film should be. Unfortunately we've become consumed as a culture with a watered down, vanilla Vampire genre thanks to the absolutely horrible Twilight films. Let Me In is very different. Its takes itself seriously. The cinematography in this film is fantastic. Theres an ambient, dark & yellow glow to the film that reminds me of David Fincher. I would imagine the cinematographer, Greig Fraser, is influenced by Fincher. There are so many big moments in this film that were so original, especially the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment